Farm fresh corn is officially in season and the key to the best elotes is local corn direct from your community. This simple recipe turns your produce into a fiesta.
- 4 ears of corn
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup cotija cheese (you can use grated parmesan if you can't find cotija, it is similar, but not exact)
- 4 wooden skewers (optional, but less messy to eat when you use these)
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Tapatio (or your favorite hot sauce)
- Tajin (or your favorite chili powder)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Shuck the corn, remove the silk and stalk. Add corn to boiling water, cover and cook for 5-7 minutes, until tender, and then remove to a colander to drain and cool.
- When corn is cool enough to touch but still warm, insert the skewers into the corn to use as a handle to eat.
- Brush corn cobs with mayonnaise and sprinkle with cheese. Add a squeeze of lime juice, your favorite hot sauce and chili powder to taste.